Regular Membership is open to unpublished writers and illustrators of children’s literature or media, and those with a general enthusiasm for the field. Writers or illustrators who have been published in markets other than children’s literature (but not in children’s literature), as well as journalists, bloggers, educators, teachers, and librarians can also join as Regular Members.
Student membership is available to new members only of SCBWI who are currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in the US or internationally. If you are currently a SCBWI member at the regular or PAL level, or have been an SCBWI member in the past, you are ineligible for student status. You also may not renew your membership at the student level if you did not join SCBWI as a student member.
The student membership rate is $65 to join, $55 per year to renew. CLICK HERE to learn more.
PAL stands for “Published and Listed.” PAL membership status is open to those who have had at least one book or article published by traditional publishing houses that meet our PAL Publisher Guidelines and are listed on our PAL Publishers list.
PAL Publisher Guidelines
1. The author/illustrator shall not have paid any money for consideration for the publication, marketing, editing, and/or distribution or any other payment of their work in any format. This would eliminate all vanity publishing and subsidy publishing.
2. The publisher (whether traditional or new media) must have a professional editorial process prior to publication, at no charge to the author/illustrator.
3. There must exist a means of broad distribution to the retail customer.
4. The publisher must publish works from more than one author and illustrator, or family. Thus, if there are several illustrators but only one author (or vice versa), the publisher will not qualify.
5. The publisher must have published at least one prior full list, or in the case of a digital publisher, have been in business for a minimum of one year.
6. The publisher, whether traditional or new media, provides a means of marketing at no cost to the author/illustrator.
If you believe your publishing house deserves PAL status, please fill out the request form below. Note that we retain the right to disqualify a publisher from PAL if we find after approval that it no longer meets the criteria.
Once you have been published by a PAL publisher, in order for your status to be PAL, you must upload the qualifying product and click on the publisher in the drop-down menu. Your status will then automatically be changed to PAL.